With every activity, or even when children
just arrive to the centre, to when children are engaged with other children
during play I am always there with my camera capturing ever y beautiful,
movement, laughs, tears, funny moments that occur throughout each day at my
centre. During one morning, I was building blocks with another child until I
heard two girls having quiet an interesting conversation. Girl A was asking
Girl B what she was doing, Girl B answered; “I’m Fa’afetai! Duurrr, I’m taking
photos of the other kids playing cause I like it when they laugh” It was very
interesting to realise that children pay a lot of attention to what teachers do
in the case they tend to follow. It was also delightful to see that Girl B was
using different kinds of materials surrounding her to pretend play about what
her camera seemed to look like. However, despite the pretend play of the
camera, Girl B definitely knew how to work a camera; she knew all the different
buttons that needed to be used when I gave her my camera to play around with. As
Isenberg and Jalongo (2010) quotes, “children live firousciously…they animate
inamate objects…” (p. 35).
It is very obvious to see how much
technology has changed throughout the years, and seeing young children being
able to work with cameras as well as other technological devices such as
ipad’s, laptops, ipod’s and so on. However, in saying this teachers and
educators should be encouraged to keep up to date with the new technologies to
be able to extend the children’s learning and development through technology.
Smorti (1999) quotes, “if educators in early childhood are to scaffold
children’s learning in this area we need to broaden our understanding of
technology and continue to extend our own knowledge and skill base” (p. 5).
In a few early childhood centres, technology
has only been seen as computers only, however throughout the years, the use of
other forms of technology has become more predominant; these include digital
cameras, digital videos, as well as electronic instruments. The digital camera
can be used effectively with children as it enhances their learning and
development. As Scoter and Ellis (2001) states, “the setting, the purpose, and
the developmental stages of the children will help decide the best choices for
a particular situation” (p.20). With the digital camera, children are able to
learn different ways of how to use the camera, in such ways of how to zoom in
and out, how to edit a picture, how to use the setting menu as well as being
able to identify what kind of images interest them. Scoter and Ellis (2001)
also believe that children are able to identify and are capable of telling a
story just by seeing different kinds of pictures or images from a digital
camera. As well as this, children are able to dictate or write captions that
match what the picture is saying for them. To enhance children’s learning and
development, the digital camera is a significant type of technology as children
are able to share their stories, and their learning with other students,
parents and community members via photos.
As children are able to share their learning,
findings, and photos with their teachers, parents and family; educators are
encouraged to show feedback as well as support towards the children’s work. As the
Ministry of Education (1996) quotes, “feedback to children on their learning
and development should enhance their sense of themselves as capable people and
competent learners” (p. 30). The digital is very much encouraged throughout my
centre, and children are able to experience these wonderful technologies that
are able to enhance and improve on their learning and development. Moreover,
although children learn through various ways of experiences; technology such as
the computers, digital cameras or digital videos has substantial potential to
encourage and support different ways of teaching children (New Zealand
Curriculum, 2007, p. 36).
References
Isenberg,
J. P., & Jalongo, M. R. (2006). Understanding children’s creative thought
and expression. In Creative thinking
and arts-based learning: Preschool through fourth grade (4 ed.). Upper
Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Merrill Prentice Hall (pp. 3-37)
Ministry of Education.
(1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga
mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early
childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education.
(2007). The New Zealand curriculum.
Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Scoter, J.V. & Ellis, D. (2001). Technology in early childhood education. Retrieved
from: http://www.netc.org/earlyconnections/byrequest.pdf
Smorti,
S. (1999) Technology in early childhood. Early
Education, 1, 5-10.
According to me this generation is lucky. They get many technological devices to use in their everyday life, to make their life easy. When I was young, we used to go to a photo studio once in a year and take a family photo, or pose for yearly school group photo. At that time the photography was like a magic to me. The photographer used to cover a black cloth on the camera, then take the camera cover off for a moment. After few weeks we will get the photograph.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in my teens hand camera came in market. We need to buy film roles and fix inside it. We had to take the photos carefully because processing the photos was a costly affair. Preserving the photos was difficult too.
When I first saw video camera, it was a wonder to me. Now with the arrival of digital camera, photography has become very easy and inexpensive. It is user friendly, even children with fine motor skill can use it.
It would be worthwhile if we can show the children the old technology of camera in You Tube.
Thanks Grace for a very natural and simple reflection. It is great to know that you carry your camera and make use of it on a regular basis. As we all are aware that technology is an integral part of early childhood education, educators and children make the use of camera on a regular basis. According to Te Whāriki, “children use a variety of technologies for different purposes as they explore their world” (Ministry of Education, 1996.p.98). I believe that you work with preschool and for children at that age it would be wonderful to extend their knowledge about technology. I would like to suggest a field trip to MOTAT for children to experience the different form of technology that existed before the hi tech stuff of today was created. I would have liked to know a little more details about how the play unfolded. I do agree with you that children do imitate the teachers and thus it is important for educators to be good role models.
ReplyDeleteWhen I arrived at my centre, I noticed that a girl aged 3 was holding a big digital camera. She said that it was her mother’s camera. She knew how to operate it as she showed me how it works while she pressed each button on the camera. I like what the literature in your reflection says, that children are able to identify and are capable of telling a story just by seeing different kinds of pictures or images from a digital camera as well as children are able to dictate or write captions that match what the picture is saying for them. The camera which the girl from my centre brought needed 2 batteries to work but it was empty so when she looked through the screen, it was dark and she could not see anything unfortunately. Soon she got bored to play with it. I believe that playing with a real digital camera would be valuable for her learning. You also identified the importance of giving children feedback on their learning. You could encourage your students to make their learning journey with photos which are taken by them, and you could give feedback to them.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all I would like to say that I love the selection of pictures on your block. Regarding your reflection of the child imitating you to take pictures from the camera supports Bandura's observational theory where children observe and imitate what others do. (Santrock, 2011).This also shows how important it is for educators to use the technology in the centres as we are modelling the behaviour for children to use the technology appropriately. I also agree to the point that children should be given feedback of their work as this helps them practice the skills they need in order to use the technology.as you mentioned children's competency in using camera I would suggest you encourage children to make a picture book and help them describe of what they did in the picture .This could be a source for other children to develop their skills in the form of sharing the knowledge.
ReplyDelete