To most people, technology is only considered to be digital
devices such computers, digital videos, digital cameras; however as Smorti (1999)
states, technology such as a pen, bricks, hammer, newspaper, or even an ice
block stick can all be considered as technology as each item is able to help
people as well as help solve problems. In my centre, a few parents do not
necessarily agree with children working on computers as they feel that children
are not learning anything but only using computers for games and for other
reasons. However, it is the educator’s job to encourage parents and families to
enhance children’s learning by using these different equipment’s that are
available to help encourage and develop children’s learning and development. The
children in my centre really enjoy working on computers, and learning different
ways of how to use a computer. As teachers, we do encourage children to learn
about these different technologies, but also being able to teach children about
the safety guidelines about the computer. Children already are advanced at
using these technologies because of experiences at home and elsewhere. In saying
this, most children in my centre are very fast learners when it comes to using
digital technologies, and they become so attached and interested in learning
more.
One evening at my centre during activity time, I noticed S
was on the computer but looked very confused and did not know what she was
doing so I headed over and asked if she was ok, she said she was lost and did
not know how to work the game. The game was a English game about the sounds of
letters. As I went to explain how it works, M walked over and must of heard our
conversation and said “here Fa’afetai, Ill help S!” I agreed happily, but asked
S if it was ok for M to help her out, and she was more than happy. M explained
to her how to use the mouse to select which sound best fit the letter. Later on,
I noticed that S was catching up really fast and was on the go playing with
this letter and sound game. It was also very encouraging to see that what S learnt
from M’s help, she was also able to show others who found difficulty in this
also.
The significant use of computers on children’s learning and
development encourages a lot of different ways of learning. Children not only
have fun and enjoy games on a computer, but they also increase their learning
skills, communication skills. Moreover, computer technology offers many
opportunities to strengthen many aspects of early childhood education practice.
As Ministry of Education (2004) quotes, “opportunities to support and enhance children’s
learning and play experiences, opportunities to support and strengthen
practitioners professional learning and development and opportunities to
support and strengthen relationships and communication between early childhood
centres, parents…” (p. 2). As M helped S during their computer activities, they
were able to communicate as well as build and maintain a friendly and helpful
relationship, also developing their learning skills.
I believe that through using the computer, children are able
to learn a lot of things by using the internet to find and explore the things
that interest them such as dinosaurs, or even to search pictures or images or
different colours that make them happy. Children are still learning
mathematical skills, as well as English and language skills through technology
because they are able to identify and recognize different things they see by
using the internet. Moreover, children are encouraged to learn not only by
writing and drawing things but by being flexible in using other ways to learn,
as Ministry of Education (1996) quotes, “children use a variety of technologies
for different purposes as they explore their world” (p. 98).
References
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā
mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood
curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2004). Kei tua o te pae assessment for learning:
Early childhood exemplars. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999) Technology in early childhood. Early Education, 1, 5-10.
It is a myth that young children are not supposed to be using computers. One of the parents’ told me that she doesn’t believe in children below school age using computer, as it spoils their health. I also used to think so till I researched about it. This is one of the reasons why I have taken ‘ICT in preschools’ as my research topic. When I started getting deep in the research, my views began to change. As you said, now I believe that computer is a strong device to teach children the fundamental of everything. I even fear that gradually, it is even going to take teachers’ place. When I finish my research, I am going to present that parent one copy of my report.
ReplyDeleteAs I observed, children enjoy thoroughly using computers. However, as you stated, it is dangerous for them to be exposed to unwanted sites.
Hector’s world is a good site to teach children internet safety. I am also planning to show this in my centre.
Hi Grace, this reflection is a good example of how children’s learning can be enhanced through use of computers. I believe there was tuakana teina evident in this reflection where children guided the learning of a peer. Children are capable to solve problems with guidance and intervention of an adult or peer. I enjoyed reading the links and the different learning experiences like social skills, analytical skills and language skills were fostered. I do agree that the educators have an important role to engage parents and encourage the use of different technology in the learning and development of children. The fact that the present generation is living in a technological era they have to keep up with the latest learning tools. The New Zealand curriculum in its vision clearly state that young children, “who will seize the opportunities offered by new knowledge and technologies to secure a sustainable social, cultural, economic, and environmental future for our country” (Ministry of Education, 2007. p.8).
ReplyDeleteIt is true that many parents still believe that using a computer for young children should not be encouraged. I looked after 2 Kiwi primary students as a babysitter a few years ago. Two of them loved going on the computer when they came back home from the school. They were allowed to do only mathematical and language games by their parents but it was only for 30 minutes for each person. If the weather was good, they had to go outside to play. Their parents were quite strict about using the computer with the children. I often felt sorry for them especially the boy, because he often asked me to extend his times to play with computer games. I, on the other hand, felt they did not need to play on the computer even the educational games. I did not see the point of studying with computer games at that time. They could study with the books from the school. However, I now know the importance of letting them have experience using the computer to gain knowledge of the computer world. Grace said in her reflection that children not only have fun and enjoy games on a computer, but they also increase their learning skills and communication skills. Moreover, computer technology offers many opportunities to strengthen many aspects of early childhood education practice. You could look for other interesting educational games through the internet and introduce them to your students.
ReplyDeleteWell Grace my thinking of term technology was also only devices that were digital. I seriously did not know that items such as pen, brick, ice-cream stick and many more were related to technology until I came across the reading technology in early childhood education by Sue Smorti. With regard to your reflection of using computers at the centre I appreciate the support and opportunities teachers provide to let children explore the technology but more importantly I liked the fact that while you were helping a child solves her problem, another child wanted to help that child and you permitted him to get involve in solving the problem. By doing this you used Vygotskys theory of using skilled peers to support children's learning. (Santrock, 2010).This not only helped in solving the problem but build strong relationships and friendships in children. It’s amazing to see how much children already know about using the technology. To scaffold children's learning in using technology I think teachers require continuing staff development and support (Tsantis, Berwick &Thouvenelle, 2003) so we can catch up with the new technologies and its use in early childhood settings.
ReplyDelete